The personal blog for Chase Duffy, lead character in the Chase Superman Duffy comics!
Fields of Home
Thursday, 24 October 2019
Halloween Countdown: 7 Sweet Facts About Candy
Oh don't worry, Mom rations our candy every year—and I think she steals a few Mars bars for herself (they're her favourite)—but I definitely love a good chocolate bar, and I'm a sucker for, well, suckers.
So today, I thought I'd have a bit of fun and share 7 sweet facts about a few of the most popular Halloween treats.
1. Did you know that the creator of the Reece's Peanut Butter Cup (yum!) named the candy after himself? Yup, Harry Burnett Reese is responsible for making this delicious treat—and I can't thank him enough.
2. You wouldn't expect a dentist to be responsible for inventing a new type of candy, but in 1897, Dr. William Morrison partnered with another candy maker to create cotton candy. At the time they called their invention Fairy Floss (and my sister Amelia still does), but it's the same delicious treat you can buy at carnivals around the world.
3. Do you like white chocolate? I have some bad news for you—because it doesn't contain cocoa solids, it's actually not chocolate at all.
4. Do you know what the M's stand for in M&M's? Mars and Murrie—the surnames of the two men that invented them.
5. Speaking of M&M's, did you know that astronauts love them? They don't make a mess, and they can be tossed into the anti-gravity air and gobbled up Pac Man style. I wonder if Robert Thirsk took some up in space when he took 150,000 canola seeds? (You can read ask about that in the Superman Duffy graphic novel, It's a Blast!)
6. I can't seem to get enough Tootsie Rolls—and there's no chance of running out, either. Almost 45,000 Tootsie Rolls are made every minute.
7. I love Nutella. It's the perfect spread on my toast (once in a while), but I also love Twix chocolate bars. So of course I would probably love Twix spread—which sadly, you can only buy in the U.K.
Sweet facts, huh?
Gotta jet. If I'm late for school, Mom won't let me have any candy this year.
~ Chase Superman Duffy
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment