Thursday 26 October 2017

Halloween Countdown: 5 Sleeps!


Did you know that today is National Pumpkin Day? If you haven't been already, it's the perfect day to indulge in a pumpkin spiced...well, pretty much anything. Or, dig in to a slice of pumpkin pie or cheesecake. (Fun fact: the largest pumpkin pie ever baked was in 2005 and weighed 2,020 pounds!)


Actually, while researching for this post, I found a whole bunch of very interesting facts. Like, did you know that ore than 2 billion pounds of pumpkin is produced in Canada and the U.S. each year? That's a lot of pumpkin!

Another neat fact is that pumpkins are part of the gourd family, which you probably know. But did you know that watermelons and zucchini are part of the same family? In fact, pumpkin comes from the Greek work 'pepon' meaning large melon.

In one article I read, researchers estimate that pumpkins have been grown in North America for five thousand years. And, they're healthy too! The flowers, seeds, and flesh are all edible and are high in potassium and Vitamin A.

Cool stuff to know, but I bet tonight, most people will celebrate National Pumpkin Day by carving them for Halloween! Click here for my grandma's recipe for the perfect pumpkin seeds, and then scroll down to see pictures of some fantastic pumpkin carving I found on the internet.







I'll show you the pumpkins me and my sister carved soon, but I can tell you now, they're nowhere NEAR as good as these. Which one is your favourite? I love the Han Solo one!

Gotta jet! See you tomorrow as we head into the last weekend before the big day. So much to do...

~ Chase Superman Duffy 

No comments:

Post a Comment