Friday 29 July 2011

See you at Heritage Days?


Last week, Grandpa and I went to the Shellbrook Museum in Saskatchewan. Shellbrook is where the first Canadian canola crop was grown, more than 80 years ago.

When Mr. Fred Slovunuk and his wife immigrated from Poland, they brought a handful of seeds with them, and what started as a small plot of canola turned into giant fields of yellow. You can read the whole amazing story of canola’s beginnings in the book, Fields of Home. (This will be a link to the page where they can get the book...)

But after visiting the museum, I got to thinking about my heritage. Mom and I are going to Heritage Days in Edmonton this weekend, where I’ll sample all kinds of great food and learn about different cultures.

I’m a proud Canadian, but I love to learn about other countries and their peoples. Heritage Days is going to be amazing!

Grandpa asked me what I would take with me from Canada if we had to move. That’s a very good question. I’m going to think about it for a few days and let you know.

How about you? What one thing from your country would you want to take with you? Let me know here...or on Twitter. My user name is SupermanDuffy. 

Gotta jet.

- Chase Superman Duffy

No comments:

Post a Comment