Friday 22 February 2013

Throwing rocks


The Brier is coming! The Brier is coming!

What’s the Brier? Don’t worry, I didn’t know either. But for the last couple of weeks, that’s all my Grandpa has been talking about. The Tim Horton’s Brier is an annual national curling championship, and this year it's in Edmonton. The match has actually been around since 1927. Huh. Who knew?

Apparently The Brier is a pretty big deal, because the winning team goes on to represent Canada at the World Championships.

I don’t know much about curling, but I do know a little something about competition. Grandpa says curling is more than just throwing a “rock” and chasing it with those funny looking brooms. He curls every Wednesday night – not at the professional level, of course – and he says the top players have to practice hard just like for any other sport.

I’ve never gone to watch Grandpa curl, which seems kind of rude since Grandpa is at every single one of my track meets, and even some of my practices. Maybe if I go to his next match, I’ll know what to watch for when we go to the Brier – I guess he scored some pretty sweet tickets.

Who knows, maybe I’ll want to give it a try sometime.

Gotta jet!

- Chase Superman Duffy

No comments:

Post a Comment