Friday 8 February 2013

The year of the snake



This week at school we’ve been learning all about the Chinese New Year, which starts this Sunday. Boy, it’s sure a big deal in China. My social studies teacher says it’s actually the most important of the traditional Chinese holidays.

Lucky for us, we’ve already started celebrating.

A couple of days ago, a professional chef came to our class and showed us how to make a traditional stir-fry (I helped Mom make one yesterday and it was delicious!), and in gym class, we learned a bit of tai chi and karate.

Today, we’re going to make lanterns in art class, and then the whole school will attend a special assembly. My friend Sophie is reciting a poem in Mandarin, and I heard there’s going to be shadow dancing and a dragon costume. I’m so excited!

2013 year of the Snake. I wonder if there’s going to be anything about snakes at the assembly. I kind of hope not… * shudder *

But I do think it’s cool that Chinese New Year is celebrated for 15 days. In most countries, like Canada, the New Year is over in a few hours. My parents said they didn’t even stay up until midnight this year. How boring.

Maybe this year we’ll get to study some of the other cultures in the country. I’d love to attend a real powwow, or go on a field trip to the Ukrainian Village. So many different things to learn – right in our own back yard! I guess that’s why Grandpa says Canada is considered a cultural mosaic. <grin>

Gotta jet! Happy Chinese New Year!

- Chase Superman Duffy

No comments:

Post a Comment