Friday 23 September 2011

What would you do for 10,000 hours?


Ten thousand hours is a long time, right? It's more than 400 FULL days in a row, if you do the math. And I did!

But apparently, that's the magic number if you want to be successful at...well, whatever it is you're doing. Like playing the piano, learning to swim, or even running. 

My mom is reading this book called the Outliers, and the author claims that it isn't just "practice" that is the difference between success and, uh, not success. It's the AMOUNT of practice. Like, I can't play on Facebook or my Twitter for a few hours a week and expect to be the next Bill Gates.

But 10,000 hours? Yikes!

Right now I'm running *about* four hours a week. At that rate, it will take 2,500 weeks before I'll be recognized by anyone but my Grandpa. And maybe my friend Sophie, but that's just because she's the yearbook editor. <grin>

Hmmm. Looks like I need to create a spreadsheet and start tracking my practice time...and then get out there and start running!

Speaking of that...gotta jet.

- Chase Superman Duffy

Hey! What are you practicing for? What would you do for 10,000 hours?

No comments:

Post a Comment