Friday 9 September 2011

Start ahead, stay ahead



Coach Taylor always says, “If you start ahead, you almost always stay ahead…As long as you stick to your goals.”

I always thought he was talking about running, but my Dad says it’s the same in life. Which I guess is why my parents are always talking to me about setting goals.

I thought I set some good school goals for this year, like handing in my assignments on time. My Mom says that’s a great start, but it’s important for me to think about non-school related targets, too.

Like my health. Mom says I eat too much junk food, which isn’t the best fuel for my body. I’ve spent enough time with Grandma to know what makes a snack nutritious, and Mom packs me a healthy lunch, but I don’t always make the best choices when I’m standing at a candy bar with my friends. (I have a weakness for all things chocolate.)

So, that’s my health goal – to make healthier selections.

Not ALL the time. Coach Taylor says goals have to be achievable and believable. Like, I’m not really going to run as fast as Superman one day. Duh! A more realistic goal might be to beat my personal “best time.” I can run around Grandpa’s canola field in 10 minutes flat. Next summer I’ll aim for 9 minutes, or even 8.

So what are some of your non-school related goals? And, er, what’s your favourite chocolate bar? (Just asking!)

Gotta jet.

- Chase Superman Duffy

No comments:

Post a Comment