Popcorn is one of my favourite snacks. Not only is it easy to make, but a simple internet search brings up hundreds of recipe ideas. My current favourite is a delicious (and spicy) treat—just add 8-10 drops of hot sauce to the canola oil before you pop the corn. Yummy!
But since today is International Popcorn Day (honest!) I've been thinking about popcorn a little differently. Like, did you know that popcorn is perfect for crafting? Seriously. For example, you can make a simple snack garland for the birds by stringing together day-old popcorn and dried fruit. Scroll through Google for some more great craft ideas.
Or, what about making family movie night a little more creative? Decorate small paper bags with crayons, markers, stickers, or whatever fun stuff your mom has in her craft room. Fill each bag with your favourite popcorn flavor and settle in for the flick. Or, instead of popcorn while watching a movie, how about popcorn as a delicious snack for reading—"pop" open a good book. (Get it? hehe)
I know we'll have popcorn in class today, but in case you're looking for ideas on how to celebrate with your friends at school, here are 10 fresh ideas.
Gotta jet! Have a great weekend...whatever you're snacking on.
~ Chase Superman Duffy
P.S. – Here’s five really cool popcorn facts! How many did YOU know?
1. When black popcorn is popped, it becomes white.
2. Popcorn was the first food to be microwaved deliberately.
3. If popcorn is salted before the kernels are popped, it becomes tough.
4. If popcorn kernels dry out, they can be freshened by adding 1 or 2 Tbsp (15-30 mL) of water to the jar and shaking it.
5. Archeologists found some popped corn in a bat cave in New Mexico that was 5,600 years old.