Friday 14 October 2016

When the Weather Outside Is Frightful...

Well, that got ugly fast. The weather, I mean. One day, I’m sipping iced tea with Grandpa on his back porch talking about when he’s going to finish harvesting his canola crop, and the next day...BAM! snow covered fields and hot chocolate with Grandma.

Don’t get me wrong—I know unreliable weather is one of the more…exciting?...parts about living in Alberta, but I wasn’t quite ready for the white stuff. Not until AFTER Halloween. But since I can’t turn back time (except in my latest short story), I have decided to EMBRACE the cooler winter and…hibernate? Ha. At least until I dig out my toque and mittens!

Luckily, Grandma brought over a new craft brochure from the Alberta Canola Producers’ Commission with enough fun stuff to keep my sister and I busy for those cool fall evenings…now that it’s too dark to Pokemon hunt. (When is daylight savings again? I always forget!)

Anyway, you already know how much I love Play Dough (and the best recipe is in the brochure!), but this weekend, I am going to try making a lava lamp—with my dad’s help of course. Who knows, if it works out, maybe I can use it for Halloween decorating, which is ANOTHER project that is happening this Sunday. Spiders and cobwebs everywhere!

Here are the directions for the Lava Lamp, in case you want to try it too! (Remember to ask for a parent’s help…)

INGREDIENTS
tap water
food colouring
1 cup (250 mL) canola oil
1 package of sodium bicarbonate tablets

EQUIPMENT
clear glass water bottle or recycled glass bottle

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Fill the bottle just over half full with canola oil.
  2. Fill the rest of the bottle with water, leaving ½ inch (1.5 cm) at the top.
  3. Add 10-15 drops of food colouring of your choice.
  4. Break 1 sodium bicarbonate tablet into 4 pieces.
  5. Drop in the sodium bicarbonate pieces one at a time to see the bubbling.
  6. This can be repeated as many times as desired, and can be reused the next day or days to follow.

Hey! Maybe I can use this recipe to make a bubbling witch’s cauldron! If you want more great craft and activity ideas, email me at chase.superman.duffy@gmail.com. I can send you a copy of the brochure!

Gotta jet!

~ Chase Superman Duffy

No comments:

Post a Comment