Sunday 15 November 2015

NaNoWriMo: M is for Muse

Hey! Are you doing National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo)? Follow me this month as I work through the alphabet of great writing tips, from creating ACTION to getting into the ZONE. 

Need a writing buddy? Email me at chase.superman.duffy@gmail.com or comment in my daily posts. We can inspire each other to put down those daily word counts.  My goal this year: 5,000 words.

*    *   *  

Music is my MUSE.

Maybe that sounds funny, but I don’t fully understand the idea of making someone specific (or even made up) responsible for my creativity.

I don’t believe in waiting for “the muse to strike” (whatever THAT means…) because you should be able to write at any time. Right? (Especially during NaNoWriMo!)

But if we’re talking about straight up inspiration, or the kinds of things that inspire my creativity, then music is absolutely my muse.

In fact, whenever I start writing a short story, an essay, a poem, or even in my journal, I create a new playlist on my MP3 player. It’s a combination of songs that speaks to whatever “mood” the piece I’m writing should reflect. Like, when I’m writing action, the songs are more upbeat. Sometimes, I try to find songs without lyrics, so the music just fades into the background. But I almost ALWAYS have music playing when I write. It inspires/energizes/grounds me!

Do you have a muse?

Gotta jet!
 
— Chase Superman Duffy

No comments:

Post a Comment