Walking under ladders, crossing paths with a black cat—those things don’t scare me. But I admit, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Friday the 13th.
Not the movie (though that’s pretty scary) but the actual day…like today. It makes me kind of nervous. Turns out I have good reason.
Check out these freaky facts about the number 13.
- The British Navy is said to have built a ship named Friday the 13th, which on its maiden voyage left dock on a Friday the 13th and was never heard from again. Bermuda Triangle, anyone?
- Apollo 13—the rocket that exploded in 1970—launched at 13:13 on April 11, 1970. It exploded on the 13th. Not a Friday, but still…
- Many hospital rooms have no room 13, and some tall buildings skip the 13th floor. I’ve actually seen that!
- Fear of Friday the 13th is called paraskavekatriaphobia as well as friggatriskaidekaphobia. Try saying those ten times fast!
- Quarterback Dan Mariono wore #13 throughout his career with the Miami Dolphins (Grandpa’s favourite team)—but despite being called one of the greatest quarterbacks of ALL time, he never won a Superbowl.
- Butch Cassidy, notorious American train and bank robber, was born on Friday, April 13, 1866.
- Fidel Castro was born on Friday, August 13, 1926.
- U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt would not travel on the 13th day of any month and would never host 13 guests at a meal. What happens if someone cancels last minute?
- Superstitious diners in Paris can hire a quatorzieme, or professional 14th guest. Sign me up!
- Napoleon was triskaidekaphobic—he had an abnormal fear of the #13.
- The 1980 film “Friday the 13th” made nearly $40 million during it’s initial cinema run.
- It’s estimated that 21 million North Americans fear Friday the 13th. (I’m one of them for sure!)
- Want to ward off Friday the 13th bad luck? According to superstition, you should: touch wood, cross your fingers, avoid black cats, or throw salt over your shoulder. How about all of the above?!
Don't forget to check back tomorrow for another A-Z of NaNoWriMo post — we're almost half way through the month! How much writing have YOU done?
— Chase Superman Duffy