Saturday 6 October 2012

Thankful this weekend...and every day


It’s Thanksgiving weekend, and I have a lot to be thankful for, starting with my family and the great food I’m going to dive into on Sunday night at my grandparent’s house.

I could go on and list a hundred things I’m grateful of this weekend, but at the risk of sounding cheesy, I don’t think “giving thanks” should be confined to one holiday.

In class we’ve been talking about celebrating the every day stuff – even the little moments – and developing a “habit of gratefulness.” Sounds complicated, right? Not really.

Start by thinking about all of the good things that happened to you today and write them down in a gratitude journal. It doesn’t have to be fancy, just a notebook dedicated just for this. Maybe it’s your family – the fact that you have somebody who cares?

Having trouble? Ok. Try thinking about the people who inspire you. The pets who offer unconditional love. What about the places that make you smile – like how much I love being on the track? Those are important things to be grateful for.

And don’t forget to let people know when they’ve done something you’re thankful for. Like living in a country where there’s the opportunity to grow food, someone cooking you dinner, or helping with homework.

Now…pass it on. Lend a hand. Pitch in. In the process of paying it forward, I bet you’ll find even more reasons to give thanks – not just this weekend, but every day!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Gotta jet!

- Chase Superman Duffy

No comments:

Post a Comment