Friday 12 October 2012

Winter is coming!



Brrrr. Can you feel it? Winter is on its way.

Parts of Alberta have already had snow, and there's frost on the grass every morning. Yikes! It’s not even Halloween, yet.

Grandpa says we shouldn’t expect a mild winter even though last year we barely had any snow. He consulted his trusted Farmer’s Almanac and it looks like most of the country is in for a cold snap – and above normal snowfall.

But I don’t know if I should believe his book, even if it has been published since like 1792. That's old! But how accurate is it anyway?

We’ve been studying statistics in math class, and my teachers says the Almanac has about an 80% chance of being right, according to years and years and years of predictions. 80% is pretty good.

Which means I need to start preparing!

I don’t mind training for track in the cold – as long as it’s not too cold. But even my new running shoes don’t help on ice and in deep snow. I don’t want to risk hurting myself, so as soon as that ice hits, it’s back to the treadmill I go.

Thankfully, it’s only October and the Almanac doesn’t think we’ll see too much snow until much closer to Christmas so I’ve got plenty of time to get outside and enjoy the fall weather.

Gotta jet!

- Chase Superman Duffy

-    

No comments:

Post a Comment