Saturday 29 September 2012

Thoughts for Thanksgiving


With Thanksgiving just around the corner, we’ve been talking quite a bit in school about food – and, unfortunately, about people who don’t have enough to eat. Did you know that Edmonton’s Food Bank alone provides food hampers for more than 15,000 people a month? That’s a lot of food!

I’m one of the lucky kids who has never had to worry about not having enough to eat. My Grandparents are farmers and while that doesn’t necessarily guarantee an abundance of food (even Grandpa has had a couple of years where his crop yields haven’t been great), I do have a good understanding – and great appreciation – for what’s on my plate.

Which is why I want to help out.

Grandma and I looked on the Edmonton Food Bank website and found out the top food items needed – not just at Thanksgiving and Christmas, but ALL of the time:
  • Beans
  • Canned meat
  • Peanut butter
  • Macaroni and cheese
  • Pasta and pasta sauce
  • Cereal and oatmeal
  • School snack items

...and in honour of the farmers of Alberta, maybe some canola oil, small cans of barley soup, or the occasional small bag of flour or oatmeal. 

I thought about volunteering at the Edmonton Food Bank warehouse, but you have to be 14. So, Grandma and I brainstormed some other ways I can help. Maybe you want to try some of these ideas, too?
  1. Start a food collection challenge at the school. I’m competitive on the track, so I bet I can fire up the competition in the cafeteria, too.
  2. Go through your own pantry and pull out some of those canned goods you haven’t thought about in a while - well the last 4 months or so, not something that's been there for years. Who needs food that's been stored in a pantry for 3 years anyway? Blech.
  3. Do you get an allowance? I’m going to donate a small percentage of mine every month to the food bank. Even 10% will add up soon enough.
  4. Mom’s always picking up 2-for-1 deals at the grocery store. I’m going to ask her to donate the second “1” to the food bank.

What do you think? What am I missing?

Gotta jet!

- Chase Superman Duffy

No comments:

Post a Comment