Friday 3 August 2012

Lessons from the Olympics


Mom and I have been watching a lot of the Olympics. (Who hasn’t?)

Our Canadian athletes are doing so well in diving and rowing! I even watched the re-runs of those events with Grandpa. He’s  busy getting the marchinery ready for harvest and generally doing chores, so he can’t watch too much of the Olympics during the day. That’s ok, though, I send him texts from my Mom’s phone whenever Canada does well, so it’s almost like he’s watching with me.

Of course I’m cheering for Canada, but at this level of competition, it’s tough not to watch all of the athletes. I can’t even imagine all of the training required to make it to the Olympics.

Well, maybe a little. Watching the games has got me thinking about my track and field goals. Maybe it’s a little optimistic to think I might ever represent Canada at the Olympics, but why not aim for the stars? That’s what coach says.

And to quote one of my favourite authors, C.S. Lewis, “You are never too old to set another goal or dream another dream.”

Gotta jet! We’re going on a family road trip for the long weekend, so I need to catch as much of the Olympics as I can now.

- Chase Superman Duffy


PS – Here’s another ending to Gotta Jet, by St. Vital Grandin school student, Noah. It’s all about being a good sport!

GO!

I started in the lead but then Lightening cut me off.

Head-to-head…clank!

All of a sudden we’re going down the road banging against each other. Something got caught in my wheel. I spun out. Red Head won the match!

He got the first place trophy and I settled for second.

Even though I know I lost, my family and Kevin and his wife were still proud of me. I walked over to Red Head and shook his hand. He happened to be a good guy and we became good friends.

THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment