Saturday 23 June 2012

When I Grow Up


My teacher says this past week was “take your kid to work” week – but I hardly know anyone who actually participated. Mom and Dad said I could tag along with them, but I hung out with Grandpa instead.

I spend a lot of time at my grandparents’ canola farm, mostly running or making stuff with Grandma, but I help out with chores, too. Sometimes, it’s fun. Like running Grandpa his lunch during harvest, or going into town to buy supplies. I know an awful lot about canola farming.

But this week, I tried to pay more attention to what Grandpa actually does.

He works hard.

I know I always talk about being a track star, but my Mom tells me I need to keep realistic, too. What’s my back up plan?

Grandpa would love me to take over the canola fields one day - I know he would. And sometimes I’m sad thinking about how he’s the only farmer left in the family. Mom’s an only child and she definitely doesn’t want to be a canola producer. And my Dad? He’s a suit and tie kind of guy. I can hardly picture him in coveralls.

I don’t really know what I want to be when I grow up, but watching Grandpa this week taught me some of things I do want to be: hard working and proud.

How about you? What do YOU want to be when you grow up?

Gotta Jet!

-       - Chase Superman Duffy

No comments:

Post a Comment