Friday 27 January 2012

Healthy food for comfort AND warmth



Compared to last week, it’s been like a heat wave in Alberta. Above zero temperatures, hardly any wind – I even went for a few runs outside without worrying about frostbite.

Yep, last week was cold, bitterly cold. And I agree with Grandpa – we’re not out of danger yet. This is Alberta, which means the temperature could drop overnight. But right now, I’m enjoying the warmth.

Grandma says even though it might feel like Spring, now isn’t the time to start thinking about lighter meals. Soups, stews, and casseroles may seem hearty (or heavy), but they do much more than use local ingredients and provide comfort.

They can keep you warm!

To keep my energy levels up when I’m running (or just playing outside), Grandma says it’s important to eat nutrient-dense, balanced meals of proteins, whole grains and healthy fats.

Like when I stay at Grandma’s this weekend, I know she’ll make me a ham, spinach and lower-fat cheese omelette, or delicious oatmeal sprinkled with raisins, pumpkin seeds, vanilla yogurt and a little brown sugar.

Mom never makes that stuff. She says it’s too “tempting” and her portions are always too big – her New Year’s resolution is to lose a few pounds and she’s been eating rabbit-food for the whole month. No wonder she’s always cold! I think Grandma and I need to stage an intervention.

Gotta jet!

- Chase Superman Duffy

P.S. If you like to cook, grandma says there’s great food recipes with Dr. Chris Mohr at www.canolainfo.org.  

No comments:

Post a Comment