Friday 20 December 2019

Holiday traditions aplenty!

This is one of my favourite weeks of the year – the last few days leading up to Christmas.

We have a whole bunch of family traditions over the holidays, starting this weekend with the annual Gingerbread House extravaganza. Mom and I will cook up some delicious gingerbread, while Dad and my sister, Amelia, head to the candy store for the accessories. We’ll also use some of our left-over Halloween candy, like the suckers and lifesavers. One year, we built a castle. I wonder what Dad has in mind this time. (I'm hoping for a haunted house!)

On Sunday, Mom and Grandma will make Ginger Snaps (they’re called Bettys Gingersnaps on canolainfo.org) and Nanaimo Bars – two of my favourites. Plus, Mom does a cookie exchange with some of the ladies from her work. Baked goods aplenty! My tummy is already rumbling.

Monday night, we’ll all drive around the neighbourhood looking at Christmas lights. There’s one house around the corner that does such a great job they should be on the news. And we'll probably go to Candy Cane Lane.

Of course, we’ll be delivering Santa’s Anonymous gifts on Christmas Eve, and then watching The Grinch Who Stole Christmas. Sometimes we play Whovilleopoly or some other board game. And before bed, we take turns reading from a book, usually a great Christmas story—in the new pyjamas Mom lets us open.

Then it’s Christmas morning! Dad makes a delicious pancake breakfast. Afterwards, we go skating (if it’s not too cold, or maybe snowshoeing this year if my Christmas wish comes true), and then head over to my grandparents house for turkey dinner. This year, I'm in charge of the mashed potatoes. I can hardly wait.

Yep. It’s definitely the most wonderful time of the year. I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!

Gotta jet! I'll see you next Friday.

~ Chase Superman Duffy

No comments:

Post a Comment