It's no secret I love to run—but sometimes, I love it SO much, I forget about the other summer sports I enjoy. Like playing softball and soccer, kayaking...and biking!
Today is National Bike to Work Day, and as my dad was pulling out his bike from the shed and dusting off his helmet, I asked him to grab mine too. I plan to pedal all throughout the neighbourhood this long weekend, which is supposed to be sunny! I can't wait.
If you're like me, you'll be ready to hit the road soon. Before you do, though, don't forget these important cycling rules!
- Check your tire pressure, brakes, gears, lights, horns and reflective devices to make sure everything works — or ask an adult to help you with all those details. They're worth paying attention to!
- Check your helmet to make sure it still fits. And also, wear a helmet — with the straps done up and everything. It could save your life!
- Know your hand signals, and use them.
- Ride on the right side of the road, with traffic, not against it.
- If you’re heading out in the early morning, or coming home at dusk, wear bright clothing.
- Map out your route and look for side streets or designated bike paths where possible.
And of course, don't forget to have fun. Gotta jet! Have a happy long weekend...whatever you're doing.
~ Chase Superman Duffy