Thursday 13 April 2017

K is for Ketchup Chips: A Canadian Classic

In celebration of Canada’s 150th birthday, my theme for the 2017 Blogging From A to Z Challenge, is CANADA. 

Join me throughout April (every day except Sundays) to learn more about the inventions, the people, and the cultures that make up one of the greatest countries in the world!


Ketchup Chips ~ Yep, They're Canadian...I Think


Whenever my dad’s family visits from the United States, Mom stocks the cupboards with uniquely Canadian treats—like Crispy Crunch, Coffee Crisp, and Big Turk chocolate bars, and my ultimate favourite, Ketchup Chips

French Fries and ketchup have been a tasty combination since the early 1800s, of course, but the inspiration to add ketchup-flavoured seasoning to potato chips happened sometime in the 1970s, instantly earning these delicious snacks cult status among adoring Canadians, including me. 

But though Canadians have been quick to claim this tasty treat as their own, the real story of who invented ketchup chips is mired in mystery, with no one actually stepping forward to officially take the credit. It’s believed that they were first invented by Hostess Potato Chips in a flavour-creation contest, and sold exclusively across Canada. But an American company in Pennsylvania claims to have been producing ketchup chips for just as long—if not longer. (My uncle says he’s scoped out every grocery store in the U.S. that he’s come across and hasn’t found a single bag…)

The bottom line? It’s possible that Ketchup Chips hold dual citizenship, but since they’re still largely considered a Canadian snack, I’m logging it as my “K” invention. Maybe they don’t save lives like some of the other impressive Canadian inventions I’ve covered during the A to Z Blogging Challenge, but when I’m watching my Superman movies, there is nothing I like more than a bowl of popcorn made with Canadian canola oil, and a bag of ketchup chips. Delish!

Gotta jet! Tomorrow, we head back to sports for my “L” post, along with an invention I bet you had no idea <grin> is Canadian. See you then!

~ Chase Superman Duffy

No comments:

Post a Comment