Friday 9 November 2012

A time for Remembrance


The first time I wore a red poppy on my coat, I think I was four. I didn’t know what it meant, but it seemed important to my Grandpa, and that was good enough reason for me.

Of course, I now know that the poppy is a symbol for Remembrance Day - the day when we pay tribute to the members of the armed forces who have served and died in the line of duty.

Grandpa says I’m lucky not to have lost any family members in war – and that not all of my friends and their families can say the same. Even though we learn about some of the great historic battles in school, Grandpa says my generation doesn’t understand war, not really. And he believes that we need to remember that peace, not war, is ultimately the best solution to any conflict.

Maybe he’s right.

But I’ll wear my poppy with pride this weekend, and when the poem “In Flanders Fields” is read during assembly, I’ll be able to mouth all of the words. Don’t forget to take a moment of silence this Sunday to remember the men and women who continue to serve Canada during times of war, conflict and peace.

Gotta jet!

- Chase Superman Duffy

No comments:

Post a Comment