Friday 19 August 2011

Riding high at the Fringe


Rides as the Fringe's Sustainival run on CANOLA biodiesel

We’ve lived “near” Edmonton my whole life, but until this week, I’d never been to the Fringe.

Fringe is a 10-day festival full of plays, street performances and great food – Mom says they have the best Poutine outside of Quebec. Most of the shows are written and performed by local artists, which is pretty inspiring. Last year I wrote a short story for the Martyn Godfrey Young Writers’ Award. Maybe this year I’ll try writing a play!

Wouldn’t it be cool if it was featured at a Fringe Festival one day?

I loved every minute of my first Fringe experience, especially when my friend Sophie and I got to go on some rides. But not just ANY ones – special rides.

Mom told me this carnival was created by an Edmonton man named Joey Hundert. He calls is Sustainival.

Why?

Well, it turns out Joey’s rides run on biodiesel made from – yep, you guessed it, CANOLA. Just like the Jet Engine Funny Cars Grandpa and I saw last week!

I didn’t feel anything different, even on the Ferris Wheel. But Mom and I could smell it – a little like popcorn. So guess what we ate on the way home? Delicious.

If you’re going to Fringe, don’t forget to check out Sustainival.

Gotta jet – there’s only a few days left of summer and the sun is shining. Time for a long run!

- Chase Superman Duffy

No comments:

Post a Comment