Pinch me—it's St. Patrick's Day! Well, actually, you can't pinch me because I am definitely wearing GREEN! Green t-shirt, green slippers (they have Grinch faces, so not holiday appropriate, but still green) and even a green leprechaun hat.
Last year, when I was researching all about Canada's diverse multiculturalism in celebration of Canada's 150th birthday, I learned from my friend Ryan O'Connor that St. Patrick's Day is an Irish holiday that recognizes the patron saint of Ireland—St. Patrick.
In Canada—and most parts of the world—St. Patrick’s Day is celebrated with shamrocks, leprechauns, and the colour green. (And in some places like New York, a BIG parade!)
You probably already knew that. But here are 7 lucky facts you may NOT have known...
- The capital of Ireland is Dublin—and there, St. Patrick’s Day is celebrated with a five-day festival, March 15-19. I bet there is a LOT of green worn during that week! (Bonus fact, the traditional colour was actually blue, not green!)
- In Ireland, people wear shamrocks on their jackets and hats. Girls often wear green ribbons in their hair.
- Leprechauns are a type of fairy in Irish folklore. In the Superman Duffy education comic, CLOUD 9, a leprechaun teaches us about climate change!
- According to legend, leprechauns were seen all their time making shoes. Hm. I wonder if that’s where my grandma gets all her shoes from! You should see her closet.
- Corn beef and cabbage is a traditional Irish dish, often eaten on St. Patrick’s Day. Interesting...
- Shamrocks are the most popular symbol of Ireland. It comes from the Irish Gaelic word Seamrog, a word that refers to the plant’s three leaves. (Maybe that’s why finding one with FOUR leaves is so lucky!)
- St. Patrick’s Day celebrations take place all over the world. There are even pictures of astronauts celebrating St. Patrick’s Day in SPACE!
Do you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day? Mom always makes us something green for dinner—and it is not broccoli! This morning, I'm going to see if we can have green pancakes. <grin>
Gotta jet! Have a great weekend.
~ Chase Superman Duffy