Today is Random Acts of Kindness Day, and although I believe every day is an excellent time to be thoughtful and kind, you may notice a difference in the way people are acting today.
Want to hitch a ride on the bandwagon? I thought you might, so…I’ve compiled a list of 10 things YOU can do in addition to all the ways you’re already being kind. They’re painless, I promise!
- Instead of putting your allowance in your piggy bank, why not put it in a vending machine for someone else to use?
- See someone with a sad face? Tell them a joke. Here is a link to some that might make someone smile
- Taking back your library book? Leave an inspiring note or a quote on a piece of paper for the next person to find.
- Maybe you really like to write… Leave post-it notes around your neighbourhood with random compliments. You never know what might brighten someone’s day.
- The way to some people’s heart is through their stomach, my grandma always says. How about baking up a batch of cookies for a friend or neighbour? (If you have a copy of the Superman Duffy comic, TASTING MY STORY, there is a recipe for Monster Cookies that is EASY and fun.)
- Do you always sit with the same kids at lunch? Invite the new student over, or sit with someone who looks alone. They might become your next best bud.
- The snow is melting! How about writing a colourful chalk message on someone’s sidewalk?
- Do you have a favourite teacher? Write the principal to say how great that teacher is. (I’m totally writing about Mrs. Kratky today!)
- Clean up your room without being asked. (I know, not fun. But think of how impressed your parents will be.)
- Write a poem for a friend. Maybe a haiku? If you’re not sure how to write one, check of 5-7-5 ERRAND BOY, one of the earlier comics in the Superman Duffy series.)
Not a bad list, if I do say so myself. Of course there are hundreds of ways you can show kindness—this is just a drop in the bucket of suggestions. What are some of YOUR ideas?
Gotta jet! Have a great—and kind—weekend.
~ Chase Superman Duffy