Friday 4 January 2013

A new hobby for the New Year


So, I see we all survived the apocalypse. Happy New Year! 

Really, the storyteller in me thought there might be something to the Mayan predictions, but I’m too much of a skeptic to believe in that kind of stuff.

Just like I’m not really big on making New Year’s resolutions. I told my family about some of my general self promises, none of which were that surprising. But as for making a list – nah, I don’t have time for that.

Especially now that I’ve got a new wintertime hobby.

My parents bought me snowshoes for Christmas, which could possibly be the best gift ever. One of my goals for this year is to try new things, and I’ve never snowshoed before, that’s for sure.

But it’s so much fun. I caught on pretty quickly, and within ten minutes, I started experimenting with different snow depths. The deeper the snow, the harder the workout. The fields by Grandpa’s house are the best. Nothing but animal tracks. But oh my, is it ever tiring! After half an hour, my legs started aching.

I thought I was in pretty good shape. But my Mom says I’m using new muscles, and that no matter how good my cardio is, I’m going to get tired.

And hungry! When I got back from my first adventure, I could have eaten Grandma’s entire pantry.

I can hardly wait to get back out there this weekend. I’m so lucky to live in a country with different seasons. Snowshoeing has definitely given me a new reason to love winter!

It’s my last few days before we head back to school. My snowshoes are definitely a present I’ll be talking about. How about you? What was your favourite Christmas treat?

Gotta jet – or maybe that’s, “gotta snowshoe” for now. <grin>

- Chase Superman Duffy

No comments:

Post a Comment